Best Harness for Shih Tzu in 2020 – Trainer’s Choices & Guide
A breed of dogs generally referred to as the toy dog breed is a small, cute and very charming. It is also known as the Chrysanthemum Dog and has originated from Tibet. It weighs around 4.5 to 8.6 kg.
As this particular breed of dog is very loving, lively, outgoing, affectionate and most importantly very notorious, it needs to be put in control from time to time when the need is, that is why one needs Best Harness for Shih Tzu.
Other than using collars for Shih Tzu that results in so many problems such as spinal damage, breathing problems and collapsed trachea. That is why using a Harness for Shih Tzu is the safest method as it prevents any such health issues and also makes sure you have better control on your Shih Tzu.
Top 3 Best Harness For Shih Tzu – Trainer’s Choices
If you want to get the Best of all Harnesses, then you won’t have to go any further than PetSafe Easy Walk Harness. Here the strap rests on the chest and belly portion, so it won’t create any kind of choking issue. Make all the walks fun and joy-filling with this product. A high recommendation even by many vets and other trainers.
For those who wish to purchase a Budget Harness for Shih Tzu with quality in check, get the Puppia Mesh Dog Harness. Available in more than 9 shades, this is a worth to consider a product for the price range. Some of the cool features include quick-release buckle, easy adjustment fits, and many more. The fabric used in the making is machine washable, along with the air-drying support.
Want to buy something different like the Polka Dot design, then you can check out the Puppia Polka Dot Harness for Shih Tzu. Along with this harness, you will get a matching leash that is sold separately. The chest belt is adjustable one, so you can set in a way which is comfortable for your pet. It comes with a modern design and arrives in three color models – grey, ivory, and lastly in black.
Best Shih Tzu Harnesses Reviews of 2020
- Top 3 Best Harness For Shih Tzu – Trainer’s Choices
- Best Shih Tzu Harnesses Reviews of 2020
- #1. PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness For Shih Tzu
- #2. Puppia Mesh Dog Harness
- #3. Puppia Polka Dot Harness
- Buyers Guide
A Harness for Shih Tzu is very easy to put on and is comfortable to take a dog out in whether it is for a walk to the nearby park or a drive to the market. Just make sure it provides comfort as well as security to your dog. The best three top rated dog harness as rated by expert trainers have been:-
#1. PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness For Shih Tzu
Another highly rated model of Harness is this one, with great customer reviews and high satisfaction as this product has been designed to initiate the sudden difficult jerks easy and less risky when a Shih Tzu takes a sudden leap forward. As the name suggests, it has been designed to make your dog’s walking comfortable and a pleasant experience altogether.
- The buckle is easy to handle as you can snap it on and off anytime with no amount of extra time investment, rather very quickly.
- The only point of attention is to adjust the Harness for Shih Tzu very carefully while adjusting it for the very first time.
- The multiple buckles allow an owner to do adjustments anytime as the need be that too with so much comfort.
- It is one cheap product that works with any kind of nature a Shih Tzu breed holds.
- A more humane product unlike other animal products available for pets.
- It provides a cooling comfort to dogs during the hot weather season.
- The only thing it excludes is Style and Quality. This product does not offer much style patterns and is not that much of a durable product.
- If your dog has been very aggressive or playful, then you are wasting your money buying this harness time and again for the same dog, as it has no reliability or durable warranty.
So, if you want to purchase something sleek in design, then this may not satisfy your need. It has got a standard design, so this Harness for Shih Tzu is one drawback which we found. There is one size chart provided, that can be easily followed for better understanding and choosing the right fit for your pet.
#2. Puppia Mesh Dog Harness
It is one fashionable and forever to go to brand for durable and trustworthy harnesses for your Shih Tzu. They are very soft products that are protective towards their clients who have been using it.
- The materials used by this brand of Harness for Shih Tzu is long lasting and very soft, even though it is made of a mesh material.
- The overall design of this brand of Harness makes sure it provides the ultimate security to your dog especially in emergency situations.
- This product also comes with a re-sizeable chest belt that can be adjusted from time to time with so much ease.
- It is widely available in so many colors and is just not designated to one color just like other products.
- It can be used easily with their two-tone lead and has been finely embroidered by Puppia rubber label.
- As this product has so many types and color options, it fits all kinds of preferences a buyer is supposed to have.
- The only disadvantage so far that has been taken into consideration is the sizing problem. Sizing chart has been a bit off for this brand and you never seem to have the size fit perfectly if you order one as per the size chart, so it is recommended you buy a size bigger than the actual size so that it comfortably fits.
Though there is some issue with the fitting thing, this Harness for Shih Tzu is one among those rare brands which go well for almost all the dog breeds. It is built using all the durable materials and is lightly weighted too which makes it a portable choice.
To get the right fit, you need to measure the lower portion of the neck rather than the neck size. Most of the users do this mistake during the measurement job. It is available in six different sizes, so you can get the right fit for your pet buddy.
#3. Puppia Polka Dot Harness
This harness also belongs to the Puppia range of collection and it is best for dogs who aren’t much playful and are the silent types who don’t leap forward quite suddenly or get excited after seeing strangers or other dogs. It is available in different types such as an “over the head” harness. It has been specially designed for small dogs as to them this Harness for Shih Tzu is perfect.
- A very comfortable harness as it has been made using mesh material, which is soft.
- A perfect take if your Shih Tzu is good at walking and enjoys walks more than pulling himself out of the Harness.
- The name itself suggests that it is stylish and most importantly trendy, a polka dot design. It adds more cuteness to your Shih Tzu.
- The chest Belt is re-sizeable and has a buckle that is quick in opening and closing.
- A dotted pattern adds a stylish note, making both of you (you and your Shih Tzu) look stylish and fashionable as you walk around aisles.
- Even the waist belt is very much adjustable.
- Even after failing from stopping a dog from pulling out, it still benefits to some extent as it won’t choke your Shih Tzu like other collars or bad quality Harness for Shih Tzu you will/have come across.
- Only suitable for walking as this Harness has way too large holes.
- Your dog can easily escape out of this Harness because of the leash in the backyard.
Amidst all the drawbacks, still, you get to use a Harness for Shih Tzu with 100% cotton material on the lining and the shell portion. You can choose from three sizes – small, medium and large for this Dog Harness.
If you are having any confusion with the sizing, then you can measure the lower base of the neck and the chest girth to make the most accurate readings. Go with a size up for your furry baby, a small buying tip.
Good Harness Size For a Shih Tzu
Shih Tzu’s breed of dogs is small dogs that have a litter size of 1-8 and an average lifespan of 12 years. Though these dogs are very much prone to various kind of diseases, that is why using a right size of harness that fits them perfectly and does not suffocates them is very necessary. The size of Harnesses varies from XS size to XXL size because Shih Tzu’s are small but not all of them are of the same size.
Harnesses are further divided into groups such as A and B. But the fact remains that these products are based on chest girth and not on weight and the widest part in its body, is the chest, so measure that part well. A very common rule is always going to a size which is next to your dog’s measurement.
Suitable Type of Harness for Shih Tzu
A harness which comfortably fits your Shih Tzu, whose straps are not rubbing against his/her shoulder or he/she will start hitting it. Always look for A Harness for Shih Tzu that comes padded as a padded version provides safety to the dog’s shoulder and so the rest. Choosing a good quality harness not only prevents diseases or health issues but at the same time prevents injury that can turn painful and can last a lifetime.
Even before one chooses a Harness for Shih Tzu, he should read it out for their own good that what harm a collar does to Shih Tzu, as that ensures they turn up taking the right one for their dogs. Guess what selecting a particular type also depends on the behavioral patterns of your dog whether he is the one who is decent and silent or the one who is too naughty to be taken to walks for without a harness.
Whichever brand you go with, always make sure that the design of any harness is correct in a manner that it doesn’t obstruct his shoulders and upper arm. Protecting the hairs of Shih Tzu holds equal importance, so opt for breathable harnesses that do not damage Shih Tzu’s coat.
How does Shih Tzu respond to harness?
Every dog has his or her own personality different from the rest or sometimes similar to a few. Some are loyal, affectionate, loving while others may seem lively, loud, alert. It differs from dog to dog just like us, we human beings too do not have equal traits or behavioral patterns. So as per the temperament of a dog, the kind of Harness that will be appropriate for him will depend.
A harness is best for the little ones as they find it comfortable to walk, it aids them to learn walking. For those who are little stubborn, they don’t like being carried by a Harness for Shih Tzu at times. They do not like walking at all and try escaping out when nobody is looking around. You need to make sure that your dog is not suffering from any medical problems such as breathing problems, spinal alignment etc.
If you notice any problem, then you need to change your Harness. As this breed has a problem walking in the heat so opt for harnesses that offer a cooling effect only then your dog will feel better walking during the hot season.