Best Food for French bulldogs – Dry Food & Top Choices
French bulldogs are the most lovable creatures on earth. With a little zing for active life and very much like couch potatoes too it is very difficult to please these little monsters. And by far people have been enjoying staying with the French bulldogs not just for their appearance but because the friendly bond and the protective feel that these dogs make us share! So be it the comfort of the bed or food we take special care to find the right hunt for the hungry soul of these frenchies and thus there comes a never ending search for the right dry food & Best Dog Food for French bulldogs. Before you pick up just about anything to feed the French bulldogs here is what you should know!
Our #1 Pick
After putting in more than 55 hours of research and testing 11 foods, we think The Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free is the best option for Frenchies. So,it's our #1 Pick for sure.
Quick Picks : Top 4 Best Dog Food For French Bulldogs
|Dog Food||Nutritional Value||Grade Value|
|Taste of the Wild prairie dog food||Excellent||A+||Check Price|
|Nulo Freestyle Adult dog food||Very Good||A||Check Price|
|Royal Canin Breed health nutrition dry food|
|Royal Canin French Bulldog Adult dry dog food||Good||B||Check Price|
French Bulldog Nutrition (Diet Needs) : Calories & Protein
French Bulldogs Nutritional Needs
People feed dogs just about anything they come across. From packagedfood items to picking up random stuff in the house there is a lot of ignorance in feeding dogs. This isn’t right! Dogs have a body, health and have diet and nutrition needs which need to be met with utter importance.
Mostly it is the raw food items which is preferred and is satisfactory for the dogs. When given fresh and raw food items to chew on it work on their health and give them a well-balanced diet.
- Fish is a good resource of Omega3 and DHa levels.
- Give your French bulldogs enough meat to chew on this can be organ meats, lean meat or even meaty bones.
- Fruits and vegetables for the necessary vitamins and minerals.
- Enough water to keep their body hydrated.
While if you are about to choose dry dog foods or packaged dog food for your pet, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- Buy dog foods which specifically mention that they are meant for French bulldogs.
- Always buy the soy-free, corn-free and gluten free food for your pet.
- Canned dog food is equally nutritious and qualitative as the raw food items.
- Choose the dog foods which have fewer preservatives
- Dry dog foods from famous brands are just as nutritious as their wet versions
- Give your French bulldogs kibble to chew on
- For old French bulldogs the wet food is the right options as they may have difficulty in chewing because of the gum problems.
- Dry food for French Bulldogs can be stored for longer and easier.
- Pick a mix of dog food for your dog – don’t let them get used to or habituated with only one kind of food!
French Bulldogs Allergies and how to avoid them with correct food choices
Each sort of dog has their own food preference and sometimes has the rarest of allergies. These allergies or averseness towards a certain kind of food for animals should be given due importance to ensure that your pet is healthy at all times. French bulldogs have a very special diet which sometimes can be very tricky to decode but mostly it is the common allergies which should be taken care of. Sensitive Stomach, Gas problems are the common one's for frenchies.
When encountered with a food allergy in your French bulldog it is wise to visit a Vet first and understand all the possible symptoms, threats and the food choices that you can make for your pet. It is important to note the food which should be kept away from your pet and the ones which can be really beneficial for the pet. A clear understanding of the correct food choices with respect to the allergies your dog faces you can best attribute the ‘what to avoid’ and ‘how to avoid’ choices for your pet!
- Meat Allergies : A lot of French bulldogs have the trouble of eating meats and thus feeding them is a task too. However the ones which the meat allergies can easily be fed fish and their dried counterparts as fish has Omega3 and maintains the EPA and DHA levels. A little cooking of the fish makes it free from small parasites or Salmonella making it perfectly healthy for the dogs.
- Gluten Free: When it comes to feeding the French bulldogs which have allergy to gluten the right choice is always the choice of food items which are made with oats or barley. These have no traces of wheat or its products and hence make good for a healthy diet. If you dogs have itchy skin, cringy ears and shakes head a lot it is time to check their gluten allergy.
- Allergy to nuts: Never ever feed your French bulldogs with nuts as these have macadamias which can be really harmful for their health. Peanuts, macademia nuts, walnuts are absolute items to avoid for your pet.
- Bones: A French Bulldogs cannot and should not chew on Chicken bones, poultry bones, beef or pork bones and so the only option you have are the specially prepared bones for French Bulldogs i.e. the shatter proof.
- Kibble: These are the dry food preparations in the shape of bones and are the ideal fill for your dog. Keeping the nutritional factors as well as the dietary concerns handy you should choose the best form of kibble for your dog.
Top 2 best dry dog foods for French bulldogs Reviews
1. Royal Canin French Bulldog Adult dry dog food
Royal canin is a premium brand which manufactures a variety of dry food items for the dogs. These dry foods are specially designed with attention to their nutritional value, energy requirements, body essentials, proven allergies and needs etc. of the respective dogs. And hence the dog dry food is packeted and sold according to the breed of the cats and dogs. The kibbles here are made by the professionals who have a good understanding of the nutritional needs of the French bulldog and know how important it is for them to eat healthy. These Royal Canin French Bulldog Adult dry dog foods is for the dogs who are older than 12 months and can readily chew on objects of need.
Feeding the dog with this Royal Canin French Bulldog Adult dry dog food is pretty easy as the schedule has been listed on the pack and one can feed their dog with it almost twice a day without having any worries of their diet.
- The protein content in the Royal Canin French Bulldogs dry dog food is high keeping an eye on the requirements of the French bulldogs and the need for them build powerful muscle mass.
- These contain Omega 3 which balances the levels of CPA and DHA and takes care of the French bulldog’s health.
- The formula also helps in maintaining the skin of the bulldog by keeping in check the necessary nutrients and maintaining skin health.
- Helps cure the French bulldog’s digestive problems easily and helps the maintenance of clear stools which are odorless.
- The Royal Canin French Bulldogs dry dog food is only suitable for the French bulldog who are older than 12 months
- The content of the Royal Canin French Bulldogs dog dry food is still unknown as the brand does not specify the ingredients used and the nutritional references taken.
- The kibbles are a bit big than the regular ones and thus may not be the ideal one for the French Bulldogs.
2. Royal Canin Breed health nutrition dry food
Royal Canin being one of the most preferred brands and the key supplier of dog food today has the awesome range of food items. The different packages are designed keeping in mind the nutritional needs of the different breeds of dog. The packets are the right mix of nutritional needs as well as dry food supplements which keep a check on the dog’s nutrition, health needs as well as a proper diet.
The use of high-fibre content in the Royal Canin Breed health nutrition dry food brings in immense fulfilling and solves the craving of the French bulldogs instantly. The food also takes care of the possible joint paints and hips health of the adulating dogs and helps them maintain an easy stomach, less pain and healthy skin. And hence this item is often the most picked one amongst the French bulldog breeders. while the English Bulldogs prefer these foods.
- Meant for the dogs who are adulating and gives them the complete solution to encountering issues like joint pains, hips movement etc.
- The food has the necessary fiber with nutritional value which takes care of flatulence and bad stomach problems.
- Absolutely great for the skin of the French bulldogs as these foods take the best care of the health of the dogs and ensure that the body is always flushes out the toxins.
- Serves just right for the anytime and anywhere food for the dogs.
- Is meant for only adult dogs and cannot be fed to the younger French Bulldogs
- Has a pretty unusual shape of kibbles which might not seem interesting to the French bulldogs as these don’t look like regular kibbles
- Portion sizes vary according to the requirement of the dogs and hence needs proper understanding of diet and nutrition first.
Check out this Cute Frenchie having Apple (note: do limit the quantity of apple fruit)
Top 2 best foods for French bulldogs with sensitive stomach
1. Nulo Freestyle Adult dog food
Nulo has been the best manufacturing company for dog food with sensitive stomach. The Nulo Freestyle Adult dog food comes with the essential quality protein and nutritional value for the frenchies. The salmon and peas formula has the special inclusion of the animal based protein and advanced probiotics to keep the pet stomach in check.
The grain free composition works towards the fulfillment of the upset stomachs while giving the pets the joy of having clean and good digestive system. It keeps in check the immune system, the muscle mass build up and the production of amino acids for the best health of the heart.
Vitamin B6 being the prime ingredient in the formula for the Nulo Freestyle Adult dog food is of the utmost need to the pets and ensures that all the breed size dogs of the frenchies can be fed with the same food.
- The grain free formula works to the best of the pet diet.
- The presence of Vitamin B6, lean meat protein and the amino acids produced keeps a check on the health of the heart and the muscle mass.
- The calcium content makes the bones healthy and strong.
- Suits the dogs of all ages and can be fed to the dog anytime.
- Salmon & peas flavor does not ensure that every French dog will like the smell and the taste of the kibbles.
- The kibbles are to be fed keeping in mind the activity level of the pets and hence the portions have to be checked every time.
- The Nulo Freestyle Salmon & peas adult dog food is not to be used as the solitary food for the pet. The growing dogs and the pregnant ones need more options and other variants to chew on.
2. Taste of the Wild prairie dog food
Taste of the Wild is a premium brand which focuses on the dog health, supplements as well as daily food for the pet dogs. When it comes to feeding the French bulldogs there is an utter need to keep a check on their sensitive stomach and hence is the Taste of the Wild Prairie dog food directed towards the aim of giving your dog the rested and peaceful stomach functioning.
Made from animal protein, sweet potatoes, peas, canola oil, natural beef, chicory root and other ingredients this is the perfect food for the pet’s digestive system and ensures that the food is digested well.
The Vitamin A, B, C and E supplement enhances the skin health and the natural ingredients help in maintaining the body, heart and overall health of the dog. The formula is also grain free and hence the best option for even the most upset stomach or dogs which cannot take gluten well.
- Grain free formula for the sensitive stomach and gluten resistant dogs
- The presence of natural ingredients like sweet potatoes, peas, beef, tomato, fish meal, etc. ensure that the dog gets enough protein and fats from natural sources.
- The Taste of the Wild Prairie dog food keeps a healthy check on the nutritional needs of the French bulldogs and can be the only food to keep the dog health in check.
- Dry root chicory in the formula makes it easy to tract the digestive system of the dog and makes them build a healthy immune system.
- There is a need to increase the portion of the Taste of the Wild prairie dog food for the French bulldog in every 7-10 days which might come well with each dog’s diet.
- With so many natural ingredients in one formula directed towards a healthy stomach, the averseness to some or any of the ingredients requires to be checked with the Vet.
French bulldog food recipes
Apart from the packeted food options there are a variety of dog food that you can prepare for your French bulldog at home. Some of the recipes to consider are:
- Beef Stew: Just cook the beef in canola oil for sometimes and then add in veggies like carrot, sweet peas, potatoes with a little of white flour and some water to boil it. After the water cooks all of the vegetables properly it is time to serve the stew to the dog.
- Fish patty and vegetables: Take salmon fish and cut into bite sized servings. Coat the fish in a mix of egg and white flour. Fry them in canola oil until golden brown. Remove from oil and now stir fry the veggies like potatoes, carrots, celery, potato etc. Serve the fish patty with the fried veggies.
- Vegetable Smoothie: Just add in squash, zucchini, spinach, beans, apples, peaches, bananas etc with a few spoons of grape juice, yogurt, and a small portion of cream cheese. Blend it all together and the smoothie is ready to serve.
- Biscuits: Mix 3 cups of oats or wheat flour with ½ cup of beef stock, 1 egg and some bits of bacon, cheese, chicken pieces etc. Make the dough and turn it into shapes and sizes of your choice. Bake the biscuits for about 25 minutes at 180 degrees and the biscuits are ready.
What are the French bulldog eating habits?
Like humans, the animals also have the calorie needs, deficit and overflow and hence their diets need to be considered well for feeding them right. The right way of having them take the best intake is to measure their activity levels, age and the weight of the Frenchie. And so here is the quantity you should stick to for feeding the French Bulldogs.
According to age:
- 10-12 weeks old: About 1 and half cups of puppy food per day served in portions of ½ cup in each meal.
- 6 to 9 months old: Adult dog food has to be fed of about 2 and a half cups everyday again portioned into ½ cup meals for about 5 times a day.
- Adult French bulldogs: these can be fed about 3 cups of adult dog food portioned into ½ cup meals for 5-6 times a day.
If overweight: You can reduce the portion size of the French bulldog by ½ cup if the dog is overweight while simultaneously increasing their activities.
If Underweight: Feeding according to nutrition under the directions of your Vet is suggested when your dog is underweight.
Foods to avoid
When it comes to choosing food for your French bulldog there is less to choose and more to avoid. The two major picks that you need to do smartly are choosing the sources of protein and fats for your French Bulldogs as these are the necessary things for the pet. You can follow some guidelines here:
o Avoid plant proteins like lentils, peas etc. for the pet and rather choose meat proteins.
o Avoid soy and grains for the pet
o Avoid wheat and its by products in the French bulldog’s diet.
o Avoid the food that triggers pet’s allergy or food sensitivity.