Best Dry Dog Food for English Bulldogs – Top Choices & Nutrition
As you all know that dogs are considered as human being’s best friend. When you are looking for a dog as a pet, you not only buy a dog rather you adopt a one. Because they also become a part of your family and at the same time a close companion of yours. Looking for a puppy, who are not only perfect for a relaxed apartment living but also at the same time can easily get along with everyone. Being the most popular breed of dogs in the world, bulldog puppies are the most adorable and cutest thing that you come across. They are great with kids and at the same time serve as the perfect watchdogs.So, what's the Best Food for English Bulldogs ? Let's find out.
Top 4 Best Dry Dog Food for English Bulldogs
|Dog Food||Nutritional Value||Grade Value|
|Royal Canin bulldog adult dry food|
|Royal Canin bulldog puppy dry food||Very Good||B+||Check Price|
|Purina pro plan dry dog food||Good||A||Check Price|
|Royal Canin medium bulldog dry dog food||Very Good||B||Check Price|
English Bulldogs (Diet Needs) : Calories & Nutrition
English Bulldogs Nutritional Information
Before adopting an English bulldog, you must be completely aware of the foods that you are going to feed your pet with. Like human beings, dogs also must maintain a proper balanced diet. Because a poor diet and exercise on a low frequency can lead to several problems including respiratory, joint problems which sometimes become life-threatening.
Bulldogs are omnivorous and their food must contain a mixture of protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. Always remember that if they are overfed, there is a chance that they can become obese. Depending on the age, health conditions, living conditions, allergies, etc., the dietary needs of a bulldog depends. For an adult bulldog, the calorie requirement is about 1135cal whereas for active and old bulldogs the calorie requirements are 1340cal and 940cal respectively.
- Proteins are necessary because they provide amino acids which rebuild the tissues. A dog food must contain 35% to 55% protein.
- Carbohydrates are the source of production of energy in your dog’s body. Foods such as sweet potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal, barley are rich in carbohydrates.
- A food with 20% to 30% fat is advisable. Fats provide with fatty acids which absorb the fat-soluble vitamins.
- Vitamins and minerals are very vital as they regulate the functions in the body and turns out to be effective for the diet.
- Besides all the nutrition, do not forget the water. They are the elixir of life. Your dog must consume 45 to 55 ounces of water daily. If he wants to drink more, do not stop him. Let him drink more water as much he wants.
Exercise on a regular basis when summed up with these essentials can help your English Bulldog to stay healthy and fight against various health problems.
What are English bulldog Food Allergies and how to avoid them with correct food choices?
Allergy from food is not a common problem and it might happen to your bulldog also. It is often seen that food allergy might occur if your dog intakes parasites, bacteria or due to some indiscretion eating. Skin allergy happens due to environmental allergens and bacteria. Before you start with the hypoallergenic food trial, you must opt for proper diagnostic rules. A hypoallergenic food trial is one of the reliable ways by which you can easily diagnose food allergies in your bulldog.
Along with skin and food allergies, your dog might also suffer from several other problems which include Diarrhoea, abdominal pain and vomiting. Foods which are highly organic are recommended for your English bulldogs in order to ensure their good health. Avoid feeding onions and grapes, especially resins. Try feeding them with fresh unprocessed fruits and vegetables. A balanced pet diet is very important in order to avoid any kind of food or skin allergy.
Allergies may arise due to the protein source which is found in meat. Chicken is considered to be the most common allergen. Prefer feeding your dog with the meat of a rabbit or a kangaroo rather than duck, turkey, salmon. Consult your veterinary nutritionist before eliminating anything from your dog’s diet. Making the right food choice can save your dog from suffering a food allergy. While your dog is under the hypoallergenic diet trial, then try to eliminate all the offensive allergen and provide the necessary dietary essentials.
Sometimes grains are also the main reason behind such allergies, try to opt the grain free dietary trial. Undetected contaminant in grain and meat can also cause food allergies. Avoid the commercial diets which tend to offer a low-grade quality feed. Avoid choosing extra supplements such as probiotics, chondroitin, fish oil and glucosamine.
A dog diet free from flavourings like toys and treats is at a lower verge of becoming a victim of food allergy. Remove all the flavoured supplements and medication, dairy products, sugar and artificial preservatives. Proteins are essential for the diet but your dog needs the best protein content food. Try to avoid feeding them with foods which are made with low-quality protein ingredients. Water is important but make sure that the sources of water are clean and purified. Swimming pools, puddles contain toxic chemicals, do not let your dog drink water from those places.
The Top 4 Best Dry Food for English bulldogs Reviews
1. Royal Canin bulldog adult dry food
This royal canin formula meets all the specific needs of your bulldog. Owning the sensitive digestive system, bulldogs are prone to flatulence. It is designed for bulldogs above twelve months. It comes in various flavours. Their kibbles are of wave-shaped such that your dog can easily pick up and chew. Its main ingredients include the chicken meal, brown rice, salmon oil, natural chicken flavour, vitamin C, vitamin E, soya oil and much more. They are enriched with DHA and EPA which are healthy for your dog’s bones and joints. It has about 3699 kilocalories of metabolizable energy per kilogramme.
- The food is completely nutritional.
- It is tasty and your bulldog will definitely like it.
- They are very easy to digest.
- Once you start feeding your dog with these foods, you would notice that the skin problems gradually vanish and thus giving your bulldog a healthy and shiny coat.
- It protects the joints and reduces inflammation.
- This product often helps to reduce the discoloration of your dog’s face and the tear stains seemed to get vanished.
- Sometimes the chicken content may lead to various allergies related to skin or other parts of the body.
- It is a verified product, but it is seen that in some cases the food does not suit your bulldog. The problems which seemed to vanish did not last too long
2. Royal Canin bulldog puppy dry food
These dry foods are typically designed for your puppy bulldog. 8 weeks to 12 months are the perfect time to feed your baby dog with the Royal Canin Bulldog Puppy dry food. Having the shortstop muzzle, it becomes difficult for the puppy to grasp and chew the food.
The ingredients specifically include chicken by-product meal, vegetable oil, fish oil, chicken fat, brown rice, brewer’s rice, natural flavours and much more. It also includes Vitamins B1, B6, C and vitamin E. The wave-shaped exclusive kibble helps the puppy bulldog to easily pick it up.
- A proper digestive health is very important for your dog. This food supports a proper digestive system and helps to maintain a balanced intestinal flora.
- The calcium and phosphorous content help in the supporting of the bones and joints.
- Helps to maintain the ideal weight because if you feed your dog with excess food, it may become vulnerable to several health issues.
- The growth period of an adult dog is completely different from a puppy. The natural defence system is not fully developed in case of a puppy bulldog. So the Royal Canin bulldog puppy dry food contains the antioxidants such as vitamins E and C help to build and support the natural defences of your puppy.
- It has no such cons. But always make sure that when you are about to buy a dog food, a lot of research is done. Check the ingredients before buying the product. If not checked properly, he may end up to an itchy bulldog rather than a happy bulldog.
Look at this English Bulldog's Eating Style!!
3. Purina pro plan dry dog food
This product is formulated in such a way that they offer specialised nutrition. The product’s main ingredient is real chicken. Other ingredients include brewer’s rice, whole grain wheat, whole grain corn, fish oil, poultry by-product meal, dried egg product, supplements of vitamin B12 and vitamin D3.
It is made with high-quality protein. The ingredients are shredded into pieces. The blend of adult chicken and rice gives a texture which will be surely loved by your bulldog. It is highly recommended to feed your dog daily with this product. Depending on the age, size and health factors the amount of feeding the food varies. Always try to store the food product in a cool and dry place.
- It promotes digestive health since the product is packed with wheat barn and natural prebiotic fibres.
- The optimum level of protein, carbohydrate and fat promote an ideal body condition for your bulldog. They are neither overweight nor underweight.
- There are no skin irritations. The ingredients that are contained in the product help to improve the coat and even help to attain a shiny and healthier skin.
- They are tasty. Your bulldog will love to eat this and in this way, it remains healthy and happy.
- Your dog may sometimes react completely different after consuming the product. Chances are that they immediately vomit.
- The grain content and the poultry products present in the Purina Pro dry dog food turns out to be allergic in some cases.
4. Royal Canin medium bulldog dry dog food
After extensive scientific study and research, this product meets all the basic needs of a medium bulldog. The ingredients of this product are chicken fat, chicken meal, natural chicken flavour, soya oil, salmon oil, vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and vitamins C and E. On the basis of feeding, the calorie content requirement of this product varies.
It is normally 3988 kilocalories per kilogramme. The medium size bulldogs have a very short muzzle and brachycephalic jaw type which makes it difficult to chew the food. So this product comes with an exclusive kibble which is wave-shaped such that it encourages your dog to grasp and chew it.
- Nobody wants a gassy bulldog. When your bulldog starts smelling horrible, this product comes to the rescue as it reduces the stool odour.
- The balanced fibres of this product help to solve all the problems related to the digestive system.
- It even reduces flatulence.
- It also produces a protective barrier for your dog thus strengthening the skin and preventing from skin allergies.
- The protein content helps to maintain the muscle mass and prevent from the problems of overweight.
- Each and every dog is unique. The product may suit well to some breed of dogs whereas may not suit the others. It is often seen that the results are temporary such as the bad smell of your dog which seemed to disappear again comes back after using the product for few months. Besides Royal Canin products are a bit expensive.
What are some good English Bulldog Food Recipes?
There are some people who would recommend commercialised dog food. The foods undergo a number of chemical processes and treatments which tend to take away the required nutrients. It also contains meat which may be sometimes a dead meat, a leftover meat or meat from euthanized animal.
For these reasons, some of the pet owners recommend homemade dog food. They come with the benefit of being fresh and delicious. Cooking dog food at home can cause lesser nutrient loss thus making it the healthiest dog food. They are also deprived of added preservatives which are surely present in those commercial dog food products. Given below are some examples of homemade dog food recipe:
- Fish Patty Dinner : For this item, all you need to do is chop the potatoes, carrots and celery into small pieces. Mix the drained salmon with egg and flour. After that, form small patties from the salmon mixture and fry them in oil. Serve them with vegetables.
- Doggie Beef Stew : Bake the pieces of potatoes in the oven for about eight minutes. Then cook the beef stew pieces in a frying pan with oil. Now go on adding the flour and water after you have removed the beef. Stir until thick gravy is formed. Then add the beef, potatoes and carrots.
- Turkey & Vegetable Dinner : At first, you have to chop the turkey into pieces and stir-fry in oil. After adding water, carrots and green beans, cook it for five to ten minutes. Serve your bulldog by mixing the turkey in cooked rice.
Nothing can be healthier than these homemade English Bulldog food recipes.
What are the English bulldog eating habits?
Feeding your bulldog is one the important task. If his eating habits are not correct them he might end up having severe health issues.
- Always try to consult the nutritionist for the food that your dog must be fed with or the quantity.
- Never hurry. Moving into a new diet must be a slow transition.
- Always the check the ingredients of the product to ensure the food is formulated for bulldogs.
- By observing his body weight, determine your bulldog’s optimal food consumption level. Never overfed him because this will make him obese.
- Try to maintain a balanced diet chart for your bulldog. His eating habits must always be on schedule. In this way, he can easily become healthier than before.
- Adding supplements such as Yogurt, one hardboiled egg and one teaspoon of canola oil per meal can charge the diet of your bulldog.
What can English bulldog not eat?
There are several types of food that you must avoid feeding your bulldog with.
- Treats: Offer them only as a reward. Too many treats can cause problems as they are sensitive to treats. Moreover, they are never as nutritious as food.
- Table scraps: It causes stomach pain, diarrhoea and gastrointestinal problems. Avoid feeding them the table scraps.
- Raw food: When a bulldog is at a younger age, avoid giving him raw food because they are harder to chew and digest. It would highly affect his immune system. Moreover, raw food sometimes contains harmful bacteria.
Try giving him the best food. A healthy dog is a happy dog.